Friday, July 20, 2007

Last Full Day in Big Sky




It is always sad to leave Big Sky, so for my last full day here, I had to make the most of it. I had considered climbing a gargantuan peak over near Ennis called Sphinx, but the more I read about it, the more I decided discretion was the better part of valor; I probably shouldn't do that one alone.

Instead I happened upon the Hyalite Creek Trail to Hyalite Lake. In one of our hike books, this was described as the premier hike in the Bozeman area, plus Kevin hadn't done this one yet (to my knowledge!). So I decided to take it on. At 11 miles round trip, and ca. 2000 vertical feet, I knew it would be a vigorous hike, and the description led me to believe, it would be a scenic one as well. Being so close to Bozeman, I suspected I wouldn't be alone hiking the trail.

I arrived at the trailhead, a mere 20 miles south of Bozeman in Hyalite Canyon at 9:40 AM. I was toting all my video/camera gear, this time with compact flash storage, and binocs, and food (minimal), and a full camelback of water, for the weather prediction was for very hot temps (ca. 100 in Bozeman proper).

The trail paralleled Hyalite Creek. Eleven, count 'em, 11 waterfalls were found en route, varying in height and spectacularitude, but all very pretty, and often framed with mossy rocks and gorgeous wildflowers. I was wishing for Colin's nice camera because mine was not up to the task, but you can get some flavor for the hike from the photos above. The only steep section was the last mile or so, where the trail followed a series of switchbacks to get up over the ridge to the beautiful alpine lake, surrounded by towering Rocky Mtn. peaks over 10,000 ft in elevation. I scanned the peaks for animules, but had no luck, other than the birds, a marmot, and some squirrels. Nevermind, the flowers made up for the lack of wildlife and the beauty of the lake made me think of John Denver, cliche as his songs often were, they did describe the glory of the high rockies such as this.

After a dusty, quick descent, I splashed my face and soaked my feet in the icy waters by Grotto Falls, along with other locals who knew about this little swimming hole. All in all, a great hike - I completed it, with many stops for photos, lunch, etc. in about 6 hrs.

This hike would definitely be a hyalite of any visit to Big Sky! (sorry, I couldn't resist any longer...).

The blog wouldn't be complete without mentioning two slight disappointments. Last night, the band at the Big Sky amphitheatre, Toubab Krewe (pronounced 'two bob crew'), was a disappointment. I stayed for only one set. It was a combination of reggae and west afro-pop with no lyrics. It was just rather dull. Second disappointment - after hiking today I went to the Gallatin Co. fair. Let's just say the Clinton Co. fair in NY is much nicer. Could be the 100 deg. temps didn't help my mood, but I was expecting more. I didn't stay long.

Tomorrow I'm considering doing a mini-version of our mini-triathlon in the morning before I leave; swimming some laps in the pool, running on the trail to the community park and back, then taking Kev's bike for a spin toward Lone Peak. There I've said it, now I have get up in time to do it!

No comments: