Friday, August 28, 2009

Aug. 15 - Great Wall & Wedding Reception



Well, the trip to the Great Wall was an adventure, but we were overly-ambitious. Despite Ian warning the taxi driver that he had to have us back by 11:30, the traffic gods had their own plans as construction on the main route on the way to the Great Wall prompted the driver to try a back road on the way back, where we ran into stopped traffic due to, most likely an accident (we never found out). He eventually turned around, and re-joined the originally slow construction-clogged route back to the hotel, but we arrived an hour and a half late. This was all very bad since I was supposed to raise one of the early toasts to the honored couple. But here are a couple of the views we got to see as a result of the over-long excursion.

The reception was great. Exceptional food on a huge rotating platter on each of many tables in the room. Much boisterous toasting was performed followed by ritual downing of rice wine or beer or whatever concoction happened to be in your glass. Must have been a dozen special dishes on the table and all of it was great. I wish I had a picture of the layout but I was so flummoxed by being late I don't think I ever captured one.

Ann performed a toast on my behalf and by all accounts, particularly given the attention she was getting from the men in the audience later, she must have done a fine job. I had men toasting me for marrying Ann! Hilarious...I mean, I was happy to raise a glass to that!

Thank goodness there were no pictures of me singing Elton John's 'Your Song' during the nonstop karaoke session later that afternoon! Everyone was out on the dance floor. I have to say, kind of a trip to have people dancing to your singing! There was some applause afterwards, but thank goodness everyone had had a few drinks by that point. The audience was not highly critical...

1 comment:

moonlitknight said...

I like how Trevor's silhouette frames the view of the Great Wall. Nice shot...

Also, funny how those gondola cars look like they are out of the mid-20th century.