Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Aug. 21 - Rainforest Habitat Wildlife Sanctuary


Saltwater crocodile - this thing could eat you, easily...

Sara enjoyed the feeling of this wallabee's paw on her paw

Sara got a kick out of feeding the kangaroo too...well, fortunately she did not get a real kick out of it.

Jim feeds a 'roo'

A nail tail kangaroo

This was the only black stork that had ever nested in captivity!

These ducks just looked happy

I thought these lorikeets were gorgeous

Lorikeet

OK, the chronology is reversed here. Sorry. But when I downloaded these pics, I thought I'd like to share a few. We stayed in a 2 BR apartment in Port Douglas (apartment renting is de rigueur here in Oz) called 'By the Sea' apartments with some new owners who are really trying hard to do a nice job. The head greeter/owner was Wendy, and she made one after another excellent recommendation for our stay in Port Douglas. So, if you're ever going to Port Douglas, I highly recommend By the Sea apartments - 50 yds from a 4 mile beach and a short stroll from the main drag of Macrossan St. where all the restaurant/shop/galleries action is. In other words, perfect location for your stay in Port Douglas. You might even wake up to a kookaburra singing outside, as I did one morning. But I digress.

Wendy's first recommendation when we arrived on Friday was that we zip on down to the Rainforest Habitat Wildlife Sanctuary. Now that sounded like a bunch of caged animals in a zoo to me, but it was a bit better than that, and it provided an opportunity to get a closeup look at some Australia birds and marsupials and reptiles. So here are a few pictures of what we saw there - and despite my reservations about zoos generally, I would have to recommend a stop at this place as a good starting point for learning about Australian zoology.

No comments: