Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Monday

I could only resist the pull of Yellowstone so long! I really wanted to wet a fly, so I rose at 6 AM, and was on the road by 6:30, new fishing gear loaded into the trunk. By 7:15 I was in West Yellowstone, purchased a fishing license from a local fly shop, and entered the park. First, I had a date with a fish in the Firehole River. Lunker rainbow trout 1, Jim 0. I know they're in there, but either I was using the wrong fly, or....I was using the wrong fly. Anyway, four flies and two hours later, I gave up on Uncle FireholeFudd, and drove back toward the NW corner of the park en route back to Big Sky. I pulled over next to Grayling Creek on the south side of the divide and fished a short stretch of that beautiful clear creek, followed by a nice stretch of the Gallatin on the north side of the divide. The Gallatin was much bigger water than it appeared and the current was powerful. Still no fish were eager to jump on my hook, but I enjoyed the casting practice and the scenery.

Then it was back to Big Sky for a nap before making a Bozeman run. Ostensibly we were going to an art show, but Northwest Airlines mag. got it wrong I guess, b/c there was no evidence of such. Ah well, we strolled the streets, then had a nice late dinner at Boodles - good food, slow service. Off to Yellowstone tomorrow. Promise pics!

No comments: